The United Kingdom of Bedtime Story is a massive, cultured nation, remarkable for its barren, inhospitable landscape, unlimited-speed roads, and compulsory military service. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic population of 1.622 billion Bedtime Storyians are effectively ruled by a group of massive corporations, who run for political office and provide their well-off citizens with world-class goods and services. Their poorer citizens, however, are mostly starving to death while being urged to go out and get real jobs. The populace has reasonably extensive civil rights, although these are mostly aimed at allowing them to buy whatever they like.
The relatively small, pro-business government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Law & Order, and Industry. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 10.0%.
The powerhouse Bedtime Storyian economy, worth 111 trillion dollars a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Automobile Manufacturing industry, with significant contributions from Book Publishing, Arms Manufacturing, and Gambling. Average income is 68,645 dollars, but there is a large disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 348,788 per year while the poor average 7,475, a ratio of 46.7 to 1.
Balaclava manufacturers are held criminally culpable for bank heists, corporate lobbying has been outlawed, the government frequently panders to parents with boutique tax credits, and divorce is illegal. Crime is moderate. Bedtime Story's national animal is the elephant, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Bedtime Story's influence in United Economic Superiority fell from "Apprentice" to "Shoeshiner".
- : Bedtime Story resigned from the World Assembly.
- : Bedtime Story ejected and banned The Empire of The Empress Of Fire 49 from United Economic Superiority.
- : Bedtime Story ejected and banned The Republic of Allegheny 14 from United Economic Superiority.
- : Bedtime Story aborted construction of embassies between United Economic Superiority and The Black Hawks.
- : Bedtime Story abolished the regional flag of United Economic Superiority.
- : Bedtime Story updated the World Factbook entry in United Economic Superiority.
- : Bedtime Story became WA Delegate of United Economic Superiority.
- : Bedtime Story's influence in United Economic Superiority rose from "Zero" to "Apprentice".
- : Bedtime Story was endorsed by The Republic of Slowest Moon Around 39.