The Protectorate of Houston is a gargantuan, socially progressive nation, renowned for its frequent executions, absence of drug laws, and spontaneously combusting cars. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic population of 11.029 billion Parhasques live in a state of perpetual fear, as a complete breakdown of social order has led to the rise of order through biker gangs.
The minute, pro-business, outspoken government, or what there is of one, prioritizes Education, with Industry and Healthcare also on the agenda, while Law & Order and Environment are ignored. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of New Paaoma. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 5.0%.
The thriving Houstonian economy, worth 668 trillion Parhean Tongboes a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is broadly diversified and led by the Gambling industry, with significant contributions from Book Publishing, Uranium Mining, and Woodchip Exports. Average income is 60,627 Parhean Tongboes, but there is an enormous disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 341,842 per year while the poor average 5,293, a ratio of 64.6 to 1.
Computer users are buried daily in thousands of unsolicited emails, government police forces protect public schools from the threat of protest, the lowest age at which one can marry has been recently lowered to 12, and Mr Happy's Funland has just been named Houston's new capital. Crime is a major problem, perhaps because of the country's complete lack of prisons. Houston's national animal is the Parhean Rhinoceros, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Houston was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Highest Unexpected Death Rate.
- : Houston was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Dead and Most Zombified.
- : Houston's influence in Yuno rose from "Sprat" to "Shoeshiner".
- : Houston's influence in Yuno rose from "Minnow" to "Sprat".
- : Houston's influence in Yuno rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".
- : Houston's influence in Yuno rose from "Newcomer" to "Nipper".
- : Houston's influence in Yuno rose from "Hatchling" to "Newcomer".
- : Houston's influence in Yuno rose from "Zero" to "Hatchling".
- : Houston altered its national flag.
- : Houston relocated from The Rejected Realms to Yuno.