The Sultanate of Lanorth is a massive, orderly nation, ruled by Sultan Mehmed with an iron fist, and notable for its compulsory military service, keen interest in outer space, and irreverence towards religion. The hard-nosed, hard-working, cynical, humorless population of 3.645 billion Lanorthans are ruled with an iron fist by the corrupt, dictatorship government, which oppresses anyone who isn't on the board of a Fortune 500 company. Large corporations tend to be above the law, and use their financial clout to gain ever-increasing government benefits at the expense of the poor and unemployed.
The medium-sized, corrupt, moralistic, well-organized government is primarily concerned with Defense, with Law & Order, Education, and Industry also on the agenda, while Environment and Spirituality receive no funds. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Constantinople. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 83.8%.
The frighteningly efficient Lanorthan economy, worth a remarkable 1,169 trillion Gold Akçes a year, is broadly diversified and mostly comprised of black market activity, especially in Arms Manufacturing, Information Technology, Uranium Mining, and Retail. Average income is an amazing 320,824 Gold Akçes, but there is an enormous disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 1,809,710 per year while the poor average 27,985, a ratio of 64.7 to 1.
Economists claim no news is good news, drill sergeants yell in the ears of bespectacled nerds in cybermilitary "reboot camps", the state has declared war on the environment and environmentalists by association, and young children are learning advanced physics to scientifically disprove the existence of Santa Claus. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a well-funded police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Lanorth's national animal is the Grey Wolf, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its national religion is Sunni Islam.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Lanorth, young children are learning advanced physics to scientifically disprove the existence of Santa Claus.
- : Lanorth voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Ban on Forced Blood Sports".
- : Lanorth voted for the World Assembly Resolution "Repeal "Military Identification Tag Act"".
- : Following new legislation in Lanorth, the state has declared war on the environment and environmentalists by association.
- : Following new legislation in Lanorth, drill sergeants yell in the ears of bespectacled nerds in cybermilitary "reboot camps".
- : Lanorth was endorsed by The Republic of Irador.
- : Lanorth was endorsed by The Holy Crimson n Blue Factory of Aluminum Oxynitride.
- : Lanorth was endorsed by The Meritocratic Kingdom of IndyCar Racing.
- : Following new legislation in Lanorth, economists claim no news is good news.
- : Following new legislation in Lanorth, the Hanging Gardens account for half of Constantinople's water use.
Endorsements Received: 23 » The Holy Principality of Saint Mark, Recuecn, Bran Astor, Dalimbar, Nieubasria, Zoran, Eienn, Av Libertas Vindex, Atheist States of Philippines, Saronistan, Fujai, Big Bad Badger, Holmani, Archonina, Surroosia, Wickedly evil people, Oometz, Papercuts and Skittles, Kisovec, Cro Magnon, IndyCar Racing, Aluminum Oxynitride, and Irador.