The Dominion of New Sumatra Island is a huge, orderly nation, notable for its public floggings, irreverence towards religion, and complete absence of social welfare. The hard-nosed, cynical population of 422 million New Sumatra Islandians are ruled without fear or favor by a psychotic dictator, who outlaws just about everything and refers to the populace as "my little playthings."
The relatively small, corrupt, moralistic, well-organized government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Law & Order, and Healthcare. The average income tax rate is 12.5%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The New Sumatra Islandian economy, worth 26.1 trillion Rupiahs a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. However, for those in the know, there is a slick, highly efficient, broadly diversified black market in Arms Manufacturing, Uranium Mining, Furniture Restoration, and Door-to-door Insurance Sales. The private sector mostly consists of enterprising ten-year-olds selling lemonade on the sidewalk, but the government is looking at stamping this out. Average income is 61,772 Rupiahs, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Sailors spend their shore leave helping old ladies cross the street, the jackhammer is considered a tool of artistic criticism, New Sumatra Islandians are free from pain - but the side effects include loss of individual thought and freedom, and the Ministry of Truthiness now manages the entire media industry. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force. New Sumatra Island's national animal is the Sloth, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : New Sumatra Island's influence in Resuscitation rose from "Zero" to "Squire".
- : New Sumatra Island resigned from the World Assembly.
- : New Sumatra Island relocated from The Mausoleum to Resuscitation.
- : New Sumatra Island's influence in The Mausoleum rose from "Zero" to "Squire".
- : New Sumatra Island relocated from Resuscitation to The Mausoleum.
- : New Sumatra Island endorsed The Republic of Smol Angry Kitten.
- : New Sumatra Island endorsed The Republic of The Kitten Corps.
- : New Sumatra Island was endorsed by The Republic of Smol Angry Kitten.
- : New Sumatra Island lost the endorsement of The Republic of Smol Angry Kitten.
- : New Sumatra Island was endorsed by The Republic of The Kitten Corps.