The Virtuous Republic of Orson Welles is a huge, efficient nation, ruled by Augustus with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, irreverence towards religion, and suspicion of poets. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic population of 840 million Romans enjoy some of the most opulent lifestyles in the region, unless they are unemployed or working-class, in which case they are variously starving to death or crippled by easily preventable diseases.
The tiny, corrupt, pro-business government is primarily concerned with Defense, although Education, Industry, and Law & Order are also considered important, while International Aid and Spirituality receive no funds. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Rome. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 4.1%.
The frighteningly efficient Roman economy, worth 132 trillion Gold Denariis a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is broadly diversified and led by the Retail industry, with major contributions from Information Technology, Arms Manufacturing, and Uranium Mining. Average income is an impressive 157,605 Gold Denariis, but there is a significant disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 578,270 per year while the poor average 30,405, a ratio of 19.0 to 1.
The new foreign policy is "why bother invading neighbours when they can be bought wholesale?", many marriages go virtually unconsummated, coalition governments are essential to passing new laws, and the nation is known abroad mostly for its Parliamentary antics. Crime, especially youth-related, is a major problem, with the police force struggling against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate. Orson Welles's national animal is the Eagle, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to toxic air pollution.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Following new legislation in Orson Welles, the nation is known abroad mostly for its Parliamentary antics.
- : Following new legislation in Orson Welles, coalition governments are essential to passing new laws.
- : Following new legislation in Orson Welles, many marriages go virtually unconsummated.
- : Orson Welles voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Sovereign Justice Accord".
- : Following new legislation in Orson Welles, the new foreign policy is "why bother invading neighbours when they can be bought wholesale?".
- : Following new legislation in Orson Welles, a bill to outlaw math homework has been submitted.
- : Following new legislation in Orson Welles, politicians accost strangers in the street to ask their problems.
- : Following new legislation in Orson Welles, Red Cross demand for body bags is rising while sutures go unused.
- : Following new legislation in Orson Welles, officials pull all-nighters to check immigrants for potential links to terrorists.
- : Following new legislation in Orson Welles, Eagle is one of the most popular forenames in Orson Welles.
Endorsements Received: 87 » Bran Astor, Bhang Bhang Duc, Sirulinuck, Giovanniland, Nieubasria, Mediobogdum, Anuubis, Fujai, Dilber, New Democratic Republic of Russia, Westwind, Fuentana, Psikuta, The Technocratic Ideas, Wickedly evil people, IndyCar Racing, Al-Amanah, Barcocoland, Papercuts and Skittles, San Diego Islands, Atheist States of Philippines, Thevinia, Santos-Dominius, Desmosthenes and Burke, The Rega, Win Mints, Hamburg Neo, The United Tribes of Bantai, The North American Assembly, Twisted Duality, Glorious Existence, Q The Almighty, Mathematania, DiscGolfLand, Kittenlicious, Pi Island, The Fourth Redoubt, Akshireuya, Comia Noracon, Constantinopolisia, Sindria, Oometz, Arvladma, Tropical Isles, Leukogeras, Common Good, Matism, Liberillia, Gracelantia, Condonohia, and 37 others.BIteland, The Undivided, East Carelia, BoxcarJim, Cryland, United Adaikes, Pilonistan, Fhaengshia, Nedtherland, Plankstein, Keri Kelli, Acropylae, Aldesport, Pandaland III, Av Libertas Vindex, Bobki, Newfieisland, Cro Magnon, Albyion Kingdom, Thyrall, Gryphonian Alliance, Bonelandia, Dalimbar, Nagaraningrad, Ahssn, Arnic, Futuo, Diaconstipation, Valocke, Resurgence City, Xupqeu, Holmani, Marshalia, Champaign, Kiensu, Bova Ptaltand, and Numpties.