The Oppressed Peoples of Perod is a huge, environmentally stunning nation, notable for its keen interest in outer space, ban on automobiles, and stringent health and safety legislation. The compassionate, cynical population of 330 million Perodians are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich. In their personal lives, however, citizens are relatively unoppressed; it remains to be seen whether this is because the government genuinely cares about its people, or if it hasn't gotten around to stamping out civil rights yet.
The medium-sized, socially-minded government juggles the competing demands of Education, Administration, and Welfare. The average income tax rate is 49.3%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but inefficient Perodian economy, worth 18.1 trillion Umblats a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is fairly diversified, is led by the Tourism industry, with major contributions from Trout Farming, Book Publishing, and Basket Weaving. Average income is 54,801 Umblats, and distributed extremely evenly, with practically no difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
Photographers have to apply for a license to photograph Leader, solving crossword puzzles requires fluency in at least five languages, cyber-crime and tin-foil hat sales are both increasing at record rates, and kindergarten teachers with ankle-bracelets are closely supervised by their parole officers. Crime, especially youth-related, is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Perod's national animal is the short-beak echidna, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Perod was endorsed by The Protectorate of Opossum Slayer.
- : Perod's influence in The East Pacific rose from "Minnow" to "Sprat".
- : Perod was endorsed by The Armed Republic of The United Neo American Union.
- : Following new legislation in Perod, kindergarten teachers with ankle-bracelets are closely supervised by their parole officers.
- : Following new legislation in Perod, cyber-crime and tin-foil hat sales are both increasing at record rates.
- : Following new legislation in Perod, solving crossword puzzles requires fluency in at least five languages.
- : Following new legislation in Perod, photographers have to apply for a license to photograph Leader.
- : Following new legislation in Perod, the hardest thing for a mining operation to dig through is government red tape.
- : Perod was endorsed by The Republic of Brotherland.
- : Perod was endorsed by The Emerald Republic of Kilkire.
Endorsements Received: 27 » VW53Aland, H-Zhena, A Slanted Black Stripe, Hizuru, Fedele, Bachtendekuppen, Wiranath, Davelands, Tim Stark, Rhealaliit, Roissyland, Axdel, Janoobi Jazair, Aelitia, BearStackof2015, Just Vale 2, Ravendi, The Cult of the Great Cthulhu, Todd McCloud, Am Echad, Pakitsk, Aleister, Funkadelia, Kilkire, Brotherland, The United Neo American Union, and Opossum Slayer.