The United Kingdom of Power and paddys is a huge, genial nation, remarkable for its keen interest in outer space, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and ubiquitous missile silos. The compassionate, democratic, devout population of 482 million Power and paddysians love a good election, and the government gives them plenty of them. Universities tend to be full of students debating the merits of various civil and political rights, while businesses are tightly regulated and the wealthy viewed with suspicion.
The medium-sized, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Welfare, Education, and Healthcare. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of new leeds. The average income tax rate is 39.2%, but much higher for the wealthy.
The sizeable but inefficient Power and paddysian economy, worth 20.5 trillion pounds a year, is driven entirely by a combination of government and state-owned industry, with private enterprise illegal. The industrial sector, which is fairly diversified, is led by the Trout Farming industry, with major contributions from Uranium Mining, Automobile Manufacturing, and Basket Weaving. Average income is 42,489 pounds, and distributed extremely evenly, with little difference between the richest and poorest citizens.
The nation has opened its arms to an influx of refugees, smoking is banned in public areas, the people elect the Supreme Court justices directly, and children dream of becoming physicians and physicists. Crime is totally unknown, thanks to a capable police force and progressive social policies in education and welfare. Power and paddys's national animal is the bear, which frolics freely in the nation's many lush forests.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : Power and paddys was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Safest and the Top 10% for Best Weather, Nicest Citizens, and Most Compassionate Citizens.
- : Following new legislation in Power and paddys, children dream of becoming physicians and physicists.
- : Following new legislation in Power and paddys, the people elect the Supreme Court justices directly.
- : Following new legislation in Power and paddys, smoking is banned in public areas.
- : Following new legislation in Power and paddys, the nation has opened its arms to an influx of refugees.
- : Power and paddys's influence in Confederacy of Allied States rose from "Minnow" to "Sprat".
- : Power and paddys was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Most Politically Apathetic Citizens.
- : Following new legislation in Power and paddys, schoolchildren are arrested for possessing sidewalk chalk without a permit.
- : Following new legislation in Power and paddys, the "Underwear of Women in Power" issue of The New Leeds Times is sold out.
- : Power and paddys was reclassified from "Democratic Socialists" to "Liberal Democratic Socialists".