The Night-Watchman Republic of South Edessa is a massive, cultured nation, ruled by Urban II with an even hand, and notable for its barren, inhospitable landscape, deadly medical pandemics, and complete absence of social welfare. The hard-nosed, hard-working, devout population of 2.299 billion Edessans are either ruled by a sleek, efficient government or a conglomerate of multinational corporations; it's difficult to tell which.
The tiny, corrupt government juggles the competing demands of Defense, Spirituality, and Industry. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Edessa. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 7.6%.
The frighteningly efficient South Edessan economy, worth 293 trillion Gold Dollars a year, is broadly diversified and led by the Arms Manufacturing industry, with major contributions from Retail, Information Technology, and Gambling. Black market activity is notable. Average income is an impressive 127,773 Gold Dollars, but there is a large disparity between incomes, with the richest 10% of citizens earning 515,978 per year while the poor average 21,118, a ratio of 24.4 to 1.
Most governmental positions are filled by zealous nationalists, pet loving officers arrest citizens who don't give their dogs enough biscuits, there is a growing belief that consciousness is a simulated illusion within a computer-generated reality, and people often feel unbalanced by their daily commute. Crime is a serious problem, perhaps because of the country's complete lack of prisons. South Edessa's national animal is the Rattlesnake, which teeters on the brink of extinction due to widespread deforestation, and its national religion is Catholicism.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : South Edessa resigned from the World Assembly.
- : South Edessa was endorsed by The Empire of The 4th Mehtopian Reich.
- : South Edessa was ranked in the Top 10% of the world for Highest Crime Rates.
- : Following new legislation in South Edessa, people often feel unbalanced by their daily commute.
- : Following new legislation in South Edessa, there is a growing belief that consciousness is a simulated illusion within a computer-generated reality.
- : South Edessa voted against the World Assembly Resolution "Access to Abortion".
- : South Edessa was endorsed by The CID WA Puppet of UNDelegate.
- : South Edessa's influence in Capitalist Paradise rose from "Nipper" to "Minnow".
- : Following new legislation in South Edessa, pet loving officers arrest citizens who don't give their dogs enough biscuits.
- : Following new legislation in South Edessa, most governmental positions are filled by zealous nationalists.