|Leader||the over-worked news vendor|
The Corporation of The NewsStand is a colossal, cultured nation, ruled by the over-worked news vendor with a fair hand, and renowned for its museums and concert halls, smutty television, and absence of drug laws. The hard-nosed, hard-working, democratic population of 7.234 billion distributors are effectively ruled by a group of massive corporations, who run for political office and provide their well-off citizens with world-class goods and services. Their poorer citizens, however, are mostly starving to death while being urged to go out and get real jobs. The populace has reasonably extensive civil rights, although these are mostly aimed at allowing them to buy whatever they like.
The tiny, outspoken government juggles the competing demands of Industry, Education, and Law & Order. It meets to discuss matters of state in the capital city of Gossip Magazine. Citizens pay a flat income tax of 4.1%.
The frighteningly efficient distributing economy, worth a remarkable 1,029 trillion up-votes a year, is driven almost entirely by the private sector, which is broadly diversified and dominated by the Retail industry, with significant contributions from Book Publishing, Soda Sales, and Information Technology. Average income is an impressive 142,265 up-votes, with the richest citizens earning 7.5 times as much as the poorest.
The government advises foreign diplomats to speak softly and carry a big bag of cash, parents are shocked to find out that having kids costs money, vaccinations are mandatory, and schoolboys who turn to watch pretty girls go by are given detention. Crime is totally unknown. The NewsStand's national animal is the shelf-browser, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its national religion is Money.
Most Recent Government Activity:
- : The NewsStand was ranked in the Top 5% of the world for Most Cheerful Citizens.
- : The NewsStand proposed constructing embassies between The NewsStand and First World Order.
- : The NewsStand rejected a request from The Sand Empire for an embassy with The NewsStand.
- : The NewsStand rejected a request from The Kufkins for an embassy with The NewsStand.
- : The NewsStand agreed to construct embassies between The NewsStand and The Region Of Gargery.
- : The NewsStand lodged a message on the The Labyrinth Regional Message Board.
- : The NewsStand lodged a message on the Wintercrest Regional Message Board.
- : The NewsStand lodged a message on the The Bar on the corner of every region Regional Message Board.
- : The NewsStand agreed to construct embassies between The NewsStand and The Vincence Empire.
- : The NewsStand lodged a message on the The Democratic Republic Regional Message Board.